The big Welly's Debate what brand to buy

Paula

New Gun
There seems to be huge debates over quality of welly boots,mainly the top end ones £200 price mark splitting or zips breaking ect.

Isnt it better to buy cheaper and last a year or so or is the shooting community hell bend on Brand names,i have a pair of Dunlop boots i use round the horse yard and they are ten years old now and still water tight lol.

Whats your thoughts or experiences with boots good or bad?

Monsmoy

New Gun
I bought a pair of Aigle in 1998 and they are still going strong and I use them for the stables as well as beating. Design has moved on since then, so I get cold feet on occasion, but I have been impressed enough to by my (ever cold) wife a new pair of Aigle Parcours 2 Signature and I understand they keep her feet toasty. As ever, I think best to buy quality but not at any expense.

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Ive had Harkila and Jack pykes both didnt last a season .Now i wear leather hunters ..

Clive

Administrator
Staff member
Le Chameau with dog chewed buckles........ the dog chewed bit being essential if you don't want to look like you have never seen mud before ;)

Alpine

New Gun
I highly rate the aisle had them for years. Have a pair with zips just now 4yrs on still great other than zip on left foot leaks if I stand in a burn for 2-3 minutes

Over the years I must have spent a small fortune on rubber boots, both cheap and good quality. You would expect the very expensive boots to last much longer, and generally, in my experience, I find they do, but they all have their limitations so sooner or later they will leak.

I think a degree of common sense needs to be applied here because when all is said and done they are basically rubber. I currently use a pair of £65 Rydale rubber boots twice a day when walking the dogs and under normal circumstances I would expect them to last probably a couple of years. However, I wouldn't dream of using those boots ( or any other rubber boots come to that) on the shoot where I beat as the place is covered in bramble and hawthorn, so the life expectancy of rubber boots would probably be about five minutes. It's very much horses for courses. I no longer spend more than around £65 on rubber boots and when they do start to leak my solution is to extend their working life by wearing waterproof socks. These socks are brilliant, and whilst they are quite expensive (anything between £15 - £35 depending on where you get them) they are certainly cheaper than constantly forking out for new boots. The socks are called 'Sealskinz' and you can get them off ebay or at most of the game fairs. The same socks are issued to the military.

For beating, and any other heavy work it has to be leather every time for me.

Hi all,

Just joined and been beating for a while, I wear my work wellies which are buck boots they are neoprene and extremely comfortable and hard wearing tackling the thick brambles of my shoot with ease and after many outings there is no sign of damage at all.

If I remember rightly they cost around £80 the only downside is that they are steel toecap and therefore slightly weighty but I'm more than happy with them

James

Clive

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

Just joined and been beating for a while, I wear my work wellies which are buck boots they are neoprene and extremely comfortable and hard wearing tackling the thick brambles of my shoot with ease and after many outings there is no sign of damage at all.

If I remember rightly they cost around £80 the only downside is that they are steel toecap and therefore slightly weighty but I'm more than happy with them

James
steel toes caps will keep you fit !

Ghostmaker

If beating just cheap boots sick of ruining quality boots..have got a pair of Dunlops that have to be 10 year old lol

Gillian

New Gun
Agria equestrian boots, warm & waterproof. I also wear my walking boots sometimes, as good support for ankles!

Chrish

New Gun
After looking around and trying a few different pairs on I've opted to replace my old hunter Balmoral with aigle parcours 2 iso they are like slippers with how comfortable they are

Reactions: Jon

Adzy

New Gun
Muckboots muckmaster. 4 seasons in, still going strong. I don't wear them every outing, sometime have lace up boots on, but they must have done 80 days beating from new. Add in working in the garden, dog walking and pigeon shooting trips and I think they have stood up to a lot of punishment. I have had to make 1 repair, with superglue after I caught them in a coil of barbed wire on the ground. So far, still water proof. Very comfy and warm on colder days, I would highly recommend them.

Reactions: Jon