Evening Flight On The Ducks

So tonight I was out on one of our flight ponds we have on the shoot. There had been quite bit of action on it this season, regularly pushing 50 plus birds off when going to feed up. The conditions weren’t ideal, temperature was mild and the wind hit and miss. After a quick brew at the farm house we headed down to the pond, and after a short period of time, the tell tale sound of geese could be heard. Sadly this was only to tease us, as this did not lead to an appearance. It had just gone past the golden hour when we had our first bit of action, two mallard presented them selves with the hide adjacent to me dropping the first as they came in, and I dropped the other as it was making its escape. Great start to the evening, or so we thought, sadly we didn’t have much more action after this with a final bag of only a handful. It was one of them nights where ducks where plenty, but for what reason they wouldn’t commit. Onwards and upwards, time to look forward to shooting on the last day of the season, at a small syndicate this Saturday.

ATB

TB

So tonight I was out on one of our flight ponds we have on the shoot. There had been quite bit of action on it this season, regularly pushing 50 plus birds off when going to feed up. The conditions weren’t ideal, temperature was mild and the wind hit and miss. After a quick brew at the farm house we headed down to the pond, and after a short period of time, the tell tale sound of geese could be heard. Sadly this was only to tease us, as this did not lead to an appearance. It had just gone past the golden hour when we had our first bit of action, two mallard presented them selves with the hide adjacent to me dropping the first as they came in, and I dropped the other as it was making its escape. Great start to the evening, or so we thought, sadly we didn’t have much more action after this with a final bag of only a handful. It was one of them nights where ducks where plenty, but for what reason they wouldn’t commit. Onwards and upwards, time to look forward to shooting on the last day of the season, at a small syndicate this Saturday.

ATB

TB
?

ATB

TB
Hi mate would you be willing to show me this area on map how to get there many thanks Mike

Bevo

Gun
mike,

i think you have made the assumption this is on the pigeon club land, if its in "peg talk" its general not.

also ducks are out of season now,

Reactions: Jon

Bevo

Gun
still out of season, yes they are on general licence but you will need to meet the terms of the license.

regardless you will be very lucky to find any on club land.

still out of season, yes they are on general licence but you will need to meet the terms of the license.

regardless you will be very lucky to find any on club land.
Sorry what's out of season not the geese as they are classed as vermin and just asked the question i will find my way about soon enough only need a Small body of water and my call.

Bevo

Gun
Yes the geese are out of season, they are not called as vermin, they are included under the general licence so can be shot out of season if the terms of the licence are met. If your having to call them in over water and not crops I would suggest you are not meeting the conditions.

Also what fibre wad cartridges have you found suitable for geese? I couldn’t get hold of any last year

Forgot to say they would be shot over crops not on the water as i Shoot to eat them and it's too cold to swim if they were to drop in water.

If your into the goose Shooting maybe one day we should meet up and we could share knowledge I could show you how I do all my planning and set up for the season . That's why I'm looking for the Right land now so i can get familiar with surroundings before setting up and plan of attack maybe one day this would be a sound plan .